June 30, 2021

Which translation of the Bible do you like best?

 

When a service person came to our house this week, he saw the books in my little office and asked, “Do you think you have enough Bibles?” Probably not! But that started us talking about which translations we prefer and why.

 

As you might have guessed by now, I love them all! (Well, almost! I had to decline a review copy of an edition that omitted “negative” parts!) Although I use only the most respected translations to prepare for my Bible study discussion group, I like to see for myself what synonyms various translators choose, especially in difficult to understand passages. Sometimes a paraphrased version can help to clarify as can texts from the Aramaic or other languages used in biblical times. And, of course, researching specific verses and topics on Bible Gateway helps to provide a clearer understanding of scriptures too.

 

Having grown up reading the King James Version every night – and often being perplexed by its beautifully poetic but archaic language, I’ve found that, the more I read contemporary versions, the more I return to the KJV and, hallelujah, “get it!”

 

Since my criteria are accuracy, readability, and, yes, poetic musicality, I regularly turn to KJV but also to the New Living Translation (NLT), Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), and Christian Standard Bible (CSB.) The New Revised Standard (NRSV) gets opened often too, and for accuracy, so does the New American Standard (NASB.)

 

The English Standard Version (ESV) is highly noted for accuracy, but its lack of musicality keeps it from being my favorite. The New International Version (NIV) is known for accessibility, but it, too, lacks the poetic quality that, as a poet myself, I prefer.

 

But what about you? Which translation of the Bible do you like best and why?

 

Your comments about your preference(s) are very, very welcomed in the Comments section below, but not put-downs about other people’s choices.

 

If you discover your favorite has not been reviewed on this blog, please let me know! You can find out by typing the name of the edition in the Search box in the upper right side of the page.

 

Regardless of your translation of choice, may the Lord bless your reading of God’s Word.

 

©2021, Mary Harwell Sayler, poet, author, and compiler of the Book of Bible Prayers and Kneeling on the Promises of God

 

 


16 comments:

  1. Thanks for recommending poetic versions! The translation I prefer is NKJV and NASB because they capitalize words that refer to God. I also like NKJV because it's close to the KJV, which I always turn to, being the authorized version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for responding, Celina. I prefer having pronouns for God to be capitalized too, and the HCSB also does that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the Clear Word Bible by Dr. Jack Blanco, because it makes The Word of God clear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I hadn't heard of that one. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. TLV for reading, and NKJV and ESV for cross reference. Tree of Life Version contains all the original names of God, as well as some Hebrew words with multiple meanings left untranslated

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy studying out of my Hebrew and Greek Study Bible (NASB), The New Jerusalem. I forgot my Logos package. With these because as a student of biblical accuracy and history inwant to learn as close to the original understanding by that our Creator meant. So being a teacher I must be qualified using the best resources available to me to help me teach others how tomunderstand His kingdom and our purposes, functions and responsibilities involved. Bible and my Tanach (The Stone Edition).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Glad you mentioned the NJB. (My copy had small print, so I gave it to my daughter.) When I first read the New Jerusalem Bible years ago, it made familiar verses fresh with light.

      Delete
  6. I love Bible Gateway because it is so user friendly and makes it easy to explore different translations of the Bible. My favorite translations are the King James, Message, and Amplified versions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Revised Standard Version-2nd CE as well as Revised Standard Version CE.
    2.Then lately I would say NKJV. If I want a poetic reading then all the way back to KJV.
    3. NABRE - used in our Catholic Lectionary. And actually one of the most accurate for Paul's letters. Poetic aspect generally very poor (but RE version better than original).
    4. ESV. Solid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Revised English Bible. I find it better to read (makes sense more readily than some others I've tried). Also, I strongly prefer British spelling. Also prefer to have all the books rather than the shorter Protestant Bible. I also like Nicholas King's translation, and New Jerusalem, and Knox.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too, Terence. Thanks for responding. Just wish I could find a large print REB.

    ReplyDelete